The Ideal Venue
Miskin Manor has a long and fascinating history dating back to the 1Oth Century when Wales was divided into Cwmwds (sections). One of these Cwmwds was Miscin. It is believed that the place name evolved from 'Maes Cun' meaning "lovely plain".
From that date onwards we see mention of the Manor of Miskin in lots of local history books, in particular in connection with the Bassett family who lived at the Manor from around 1610. We recently copied extracts from ledgers at Cardiff dating back to 1745 when the Bassett family used Miskin Manor as a holiday home.
In 1857 the estate was sold to David Williams. As a well known Welsh Bard with the Bardic title of Alaw Goch, David Williams was a philanthropist to whom the National Eisteddfod owes a great deal. Miskin Manor was rebuilt and extended under his ownership and the work was continued by his son Judge Gwylim Williams whose wife, strangely enough, was a descendant of Nest who had lived at the Manor in the 12th Century. Judge Gwylim's statue stands outside the law courts in Cathays Park, Cardiff.
The Manor then passed on to Sir Rhys Williams whose wife, Juliet, was the daughter of the novelist Elinor Glyn. Under the ownership of Sir Rhys the Manor saw a great deal of society and even had the honour of entertaining the Prince of Wales (later to become Edward VIII) on one of his trips to Wales in the 1920's accompanied by Lloyd George. On Sir Rhys' death the Manor passed to Sir Brandon Rhys Williams from whom the house was purchased in August 1985.
The Manor has suffered two major fires during this century, both of which have threatened it's future. The first in 1922 destroyed all but the external walls. The photographs on the ground floor illustrate the extent of the damage. The second fire occurred in 1952 shortly after the house was transformed from it's wartime occupation as a hospital into flats. The house remained in the ownership of the Rhys family until 1985, when it was sold and opened as a Country House Hotel. In 1997 the property was purchased by Colin and Leah Rosenberg who have sympathetically restored the house to it's former glory.
Tel : 01443 224204 / Fax : 01443 237606 / E-mail :